Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #29
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
It never ceases to amaze me that people are so concerned about sexual content and so uncaring about the violence and blood that literally drips out of almost every Mud ever made. I guess we do not worry about what kids take in anymore and just about what is done to them.

I mean if you are going to talk about Ratings, how can you just ignore all the other things that can earn an R or an X?

The people who run games have no absolute way to tell how old their players are. They can ask, they can monitor, but in the end it is never going to be more than that. The Teachers, Librarians, and Parents do know, and they are in the best position to keep kids away from that which they do not see. They are also the ones who are responsible for teaching their children how to NOT let the sickos get their hooks in. Muds cannot teach this and it is unfair to expect them to do so.

And I am frankly a little tired of the 'sexual predator' boogyman. Yes there are terrible sick people out there, and yes it is worth some time and effort to catch/stop/treat them. But not every aspect of life should be governed by what some sicko MIGHT do because of a game.

It is like 'rabies', is there anyone reading this who at some time or another when growing up was not sternly warned not to mess with some animal because 'They carry Rabies!!!'. And of the people here, how many have ever even SEEN an animal with rabies?

Like any powerful thing, sexual content can overwhelm the normal play of a game. But that is a weakness in the game, a lack of power in other places, and that is what needs to be addressed. Simply banning sex is a cheap and easy way that does nothing to address the real problems. Not surprisenly, it is the most popular route to go.

Sex in a RP enviroment can add a level of attachment and depth that nothing else can match. RP is 'enhanced life' and the same things that move us in RL are supposed to be a part of RP. It can also be purile, cheap, and distracting, just like in RL.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote