View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 12:33 AM   #5
Cougar Khan

Cougar Khan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar Khan
It is truely a sad day when MUDs become a medium for illegal activities. I believe this is a serious issue and Admins have a moral and legal obligation to act on it.

If an "conspiracy" to commit a crime takes place on a MUD and an Admin knows about the conspiracy, the Admin reluctently becomes a party to the crime. Which isn't a bad thing, but could be if the Admin does nothing to prevent the crime from happening.

Some people may argue, logs, snoops and cameras are a violation of a persons right to privacy - point them to the Constitution again. A person's right to privacy pertains to their protection from the Government. Secondly, a MUD is not considered a "safe haven" from ears that listen.

It would be in the best intrest of a MUD and their Admin to report this crime to the Local Police Department and the player's IP.

This is an issue I would like to explore more, if there are others out there, and I know you are there, who are skilled in cyber-law weigh in on this topic. I'm considering doing a piece on it and would like to pen something for the masses.

-C...
Cougar Khan is offline   Reply With Quote