View Single Post
Old 05-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
PvP is an important aspect on the mud I play. We have three types of pk with varying degrees of "penalties" for death.
As a newbie I learned early on that xp was better in pk zones than outside of them, but that the risk was to die at thehands of more experienced higher level characters. This adds an element that mobs cannot.

One thing that I found to be particular useful is "moderated" pk zones. Essentially zones that are designed for low level characters only in which pk is allowed. Like other pk zones the xp is better. But in these zones you are going to be able to pk and be pked by people who are your level (and presumably your skill level although alts do stalk these areas occasionally).
This is an excellent means of introducing players to pk aspects of a game.

My personal preference was that the game is about interaction..and no mob can be as challenging as an enemy than another player. RP on the mud I play, has no part in pk except when players are competing for the same equipment or zone areas.

I think there a few key things that are vital to a good pk mud.

1. Balance. While classes, races, and flags may differ from character to character...in combat players of equal level must have the opportunity to be equal. Skill has to play the key role in pk, not uber bonuses.

2. Education-New players must be introduced to pk carefully. You don't want them to view it as a negative aspect of your mud. Rather, you want them to see it as a part of the mud in which they may interact with other thinking people with skill and strategy. Zones that are level restricted for pk are perfect for this.

3. PK must only be a PART of any good mud. Not only should you balance combat, but PK shouldn't be forced down the throats of everyone. So, pk must be balanced with other activities.There will be times when a person must confront pvp conflict and there should be. But players will resent constant disruption by some players (and we know they are out there) who only play to be disruptive.

Jeena
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote