View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Gaare

Gaare is on a distinguished road

Here it is. It's good written flame to staffs of ARM. Actually, I have read this kind of complains from other players of ARM and other MUDs as well. This forum is full of this kind of flames.. I would like to share my opinion as author of the review, crAckferret shared.

IMO there are three key points in staff and player relation.

i) Lack of communication skills.

I saw many players get annoyed because of the replies they got from staff of various MUDs. I am one of them really. Whenever I wrote something while I was angry because of something in the game (Good RPIs are like this.. When something happens in game, time to time it affects your real life), I wrote extremely foolish things which later I laugh. Thanks to IMMs who understands.

ii) Lack of player perspective.

Players look at the events from one view,their character. IMMs have chance to analyze the events from a large perspective. They know much more about the situation, and they usually have experience since they face that kind of unpleasant situations many times.

That's easy and unfair way to tell IMMs.. "You are wrong.. I am right." One should consider staff spend a lot of time while playing and watching the game. Even sometimes I do not like some actions of IMMs, but I am experienced enough to understand their decisions are much wise and correct then what I thought first.

iii) IMMs are human

They can make mistakes. They are not super-humans who always give right decisions. When they face a problem, they came up with a result, and as above I mentioned they give desions much wise and correct then players.

I can not understand why people deeply annoyed and flame when they think there is unfair and unjust decision at hand. That's part of the life, your boss may flame at you because of her own mistake, damm trafic cops fee you for something you did not do... That's the world turns around. They do great work to run a game, and yes.. they can make mistakes. That's maturity to understand and accept the fact, they are human who work for players without any financial expectation.

Here is my two sids. I hope you would take your own chance trying ARM and see how good ARM and large staff is...

PS. Yes, staff does not do something IC like giving a lot of coins, items to newbies to make them love the game. They try to keep the roleplaying atmosphere as realistic as possible. When your character is dying because of hunger, don't expect a bulk of bread to fall from sky.
Gaare is offline   Reply With Quote