View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 02:29 AM   #55
Theomanic

Theomanic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Theomanic
Well, first of all, I don't think that statement is really that correct. There are a lot of well paid people that work a 40 hour week and a lot of poorly paid people that work a 40 hour work week. And usually better jobs give you more vacation time! While I would say it is true for some jobs, I would not say it is a general truth. I work the same hours as my manager, and we're certainly not paid the same.

Secondly, I find it a lot easier for most (though not all) people to devote more time to something, if they so choose. Obviously, there are exceptions, but in general, if you have a full time job you have the same amount of time free, regardless of your payscale, as anyone else who has a fulltime job.

So basically for your average worker bee, the only thing that will unbalance them in a game like Achaea, is the fact that some worker bees get paid more than others.

I entirely agree with the points brought up that people can choose for themselves to play OR pay, and that you can still do well without paying for the game... and I don't at all think these games are hypocritical in saying they're "Free" or whatever. I *do* think it's questionable, to say the least, to deny that the paying aspect tilts the game in favour of whoever can afford it. I don't see why people are ashamed of that fact, a lot of games require payment to play them... Achaea just requires payment to play to your full potential.

Sure, often people who have more time will do somewhat better, this is also true (and a frequent counter-arguement). But really, in my experience, it's pretty difficult to take that aspect entirely out of the game without making the game suck. It's pretty easy not to charge money.

- Theomanic
Theomanic is offline   Reply With Quote