Thread: Hi, New to this
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
Welcome to mudding, Ratek!! Now, I'm not a game owner or Immortal (that means game administrator or coder), I'm just a player, that has no axe to grind re any particular game.

Re MUSH games, I'll let someone else respond, as I've never played on one.

As far as MUDs go, first there are some elements you may want to consider when playing them.

If you are interested in RP, then you will look for the words roleplay accepted, encouraged, or enforced, when you look at their website.  RP enforced MUDs would be for a more experienced roleplayer, as there is often permadeath (if you die, you start from scratch with a new character) involved, & sometimes fellow players may not be very forgiving if you, as a beginner learning the ropes, do not RP to their "standards".
So you may want to try an RP encouraged MUD, where they aren't so strict, to learn the ropes of mudding & RP.

Are you interested in player-killing?  Some MUDs allow unrestricted player-killing without any RP.  Godwars (that is a codebase) MUDs are an example of MUDs that are played by folks looking for a competitive game between players, & are not that interested in RP.  Some muds allow restricted pkilling, which means there are limits on who a player can kill, usually dependant on what level the combatants are at.  All RP games usually allow for playerkilling, but it has to be supported by roleplaying. For example, my paladin wouldn't attack the good or neutral cleric unless attacked first, but might consider attacking the evil necromancer, who is raising an undead army.

Some MUDs are "hack & slash", which means the playerbase is not into RP, so it's more questing, & killing monsters, although there will usually be some element of player-killing (usually by joining a clan).

What you can do is go to .  Click on "search", then click on "advanced search" on that page.  There will appear a search interface that will allow you to pick out options to search for like "newbie friendly", "RP" encouraged", etc. Make you picks, & hit the search button, & the website will give you a list of MUDs that fit the criteria that you've selected.  Then just start trying them out, until you find one you like.

Good luck!!
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote