View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
It kind of depends on the game, if it's a purely roleplaying game, then fluff stuff could be more important. If it's a PvP system where there is no player(person behind the char) skill involved then boosted items is bad. In a player skill style PvP system, those boosted weapons can(unless they are insanely boosted) have a lesser effect...

Anyway, I prefer a system that is well balanced. One that allows me to spend money to advance in some aspects faster(such as my skills, and maybe slightly better items), non-decay items, etc. But not one that would give me more xp, advance me in my guild faster, etc. But there should be some way for me to get those same results ingame, and not just by working(such as mortal builder) for the game.

In some cases I like how IRE's system does it, I can buy credits from players, be a guide, etc... my major peeve with thiers is that "credits" are not IC at all. This is why Persistent Realms decided to use Angelstone for Ilyrias. This way it's a really IC thing, and we also gave more ways(it can be mined, as it is a mineral/ore... just REALLY rare) for people to get it. By making the player crafted skills use it, we also made it so players never need to actually touch Angelstone to get the boosts we sell. I can buy a potion of learning from an Alchemist for gold(if he wants to sell it for gold), never having touched the Angelstone that was used to make it. Since we have a classless system, no one group could possibily control the cost of those things... in fact it could lead to guild wars over prices(guilds are optional and fully player created).. great for the player that doesn't have money to spend!

Anyway... that's what I prefer, and therefore how we at Persistent Realms are designing Ilyrias to work.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote