Thread: Moneyless MUD
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Kitab

Kitab is on a distinguished road
Re: Moneyless MUD

Essentially, my thinking is that when you want a product, you have to make it from scratch, or obtain it from the appropriate store (i.e. a place where things are stored, not a place where you buy things). If you want some new and better armour, you would put your current armour in the armoury, which is the 'store' for armour. Newer or less experienced players or players without as great a need for quality armour can then take what you dropped, at least until they make their own. If you need to mine an ore, then you would take the mining equipment from the appropriate store and put it back afterwards; you wouldn't need to buy and possess your own shovel, for example, and I think to 'enforce' this, it would be necessary to make it so that you can only carry one or two implements of a certain type at a time. You drop the shovel to wield the sword, and maybe if the shovel is left lying around for too long, it automagically goes back to the store.

For healing potions, I think the most logical thing to do is for someone with the know-how to make a big batch of healing potion in the laboratory, take what they want and then let people help themselves from the rest. When it runs out, someone makes a new batch; if they need the skills, they learn them.

Thank you, yes. I did have a look at that topic the first time I came to the forum.

I think the best next step is for me to join an existing MUD. I'll scout around for one. It would need to have crafts (i.e. the ability to make products from scratch), and preferably not be set in a stereotypical medieval world, but I won't be too picky on that.
Kitab is offline   Reply With Quote