View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #167
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

To single out Arm was an error, appologies Delerak, I have tried to get into that game as it sounds like an awesome setting, but the point remains that there was nothing intense about the experience. There was a complete lack of any RP in any of the three characters.. yeah one (the second character) did something naughty and was truely spanked by guards, my first one move out the city gate, was caught in a sandstorm and died, and the third was a human ranger, yes in Allanak (or whatever it was called) and I cant remember where i died but walking down a main street, with no warning DEAD after going through the approval process yet again is stupid.

I dont see any reason why ALL MUD games shouldnt have a tunable advice channel (off by default even), not having it is a serious barrier to newbie players. We are getting a lot of new players in Primoridax who are new to text games in general and without that channel they would not have stayed to learn the game. To Deny a game the label of an 'intense roleplay experience' based on having a channel to help new players is utter rubbish.

and back on topic, maybe this is the ultimate crux of the matter and the reason why veterans of roleplay are dropping off and fading away. Roleplay requries other people, and players need replacing.. no players = not a lot of fun. By putting up stupid barriers to entry to get the label RPI on some of these richly detailed muds and settings, players will not be replaced, and veterans of ROLEPLAY GAMES like me will just turn my back on them as it just not worth the effort. New Worlds has a swelling player base, and lots of fuel for good roleplay.. why? because it remembers ultimatly it is a game, and games need time to learn and need to forgive mistakes and people need to ask questions. Maybe 'RPI' games should look to redefining themselves for their own survival
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote