Thread: The Jerk
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #26
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Re: The Jerk

Forgive me, TMS, for thread necromancy, but I want to post in the RP threads!

I find the topic interesting since, somehow, all of my currently active characters fall into the jerk category. I think I handle it quite well, really. Biggest thing I do is try and create a wall of supporters in character, as well as create defenses against those ever so annoying hero types. One jerk uses mostly legal defenses (as in, specific laws and lawyers), the other jerk uses a large sword for intimidation.

With the first jerk I even got someone who was more than enthusiastic to play an assistant, which meant someone who was okay with the jerk, and was a jerk herself. (I swear she has to have more fun with it than even I have, since she gets to go out, be semi-intimidating, and use as a defense, "I know jerk one." to get people to back off.) This has made playing the character much easier, since it means at least someone supports him.

On the OOC level? I'd say don't make jerks your first character. Spend your first character being nice and making the IC (and by extension OOC) connections. When you make the jerk, speak up as a player. Be polite. Make it clear you as a player are not a jerk. Reason I say this is, like it or not: Jerk characters seem to have a strong positive correlation with jerk players. Whether this is true isn't the point, it's that many people perceive this to be true.

It can be done, but you need a minor PR campaign to go with it in my experience.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote