View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 05:17 PM   #5
Krotho

Krotho is on a distinguished road
Might I suggest DartMud?

DartMud is very newbie friendly. Assuming you are willing to read the basic help files, most people will answer any question you might ask. In the main city, there are many characters, players and not, that would be very happy to teach you the basic skills.

For the most part, people are understanding about newbies. You are welcome to talk OOC to other people in the same room (there are no mudwide channels), but be careful not to impart any IC information.

It is very easy to become a high ranking character without killing even a rat.  All skills are improved by practicing them.  

If you wanted to become a master smith you would not go out and kill a demon, rather you must aquire a supply of ingots. Which means mining the ore and processing it, or paying someone else to do it.

The skill system works with 'improves'. With one improve you would be unskilled. With a hundred you would be average at that skill. There is no limit to the number of 'improves' you can get, though you would not be likely to learn more smithing by making needles if you are already a master.

Elves, dwarves, orcs, halflings, and a few others.  It is possible for anyone to become a vampire, but it is an extremely difficult quest. Vampires are not very popular and are hunted and destroyed as quickly as possible.

Completely free.

There are seven castles and numerous guilds, all player run.  If you manage to become the baron or guildmaster, you can hire construction workers to build addons to your castle or guild.  A simple room might only cost you 50 suns. While a moat with moat creatures would cost you well over 6000 suns.

Political Intrigue runs rampant. All the barons are paranoid the other barons may try to take over their castles. There have been several wars between the castles over the years.

Disinformation: Saying this baron here harbors vampires, that baron had an innocent healer killed.
Backstabbing: Befriending a valuable member of the castle, only to have easy access at the throne room.
Assassinations: Hiding patiently in the shadows, waiting for the right time to stick the knife in somebody's throat.

The guilds can be just as bad, some of them have laid claim on certain skills. The healers guild is supposedly the only place where you can be ressurected. To them, teaching the spell would be treason at its worst, and there have been rumours of guildmasters of the past hiring assassins to do their dirty work.

Heavily modifed LPMud. I'm not a creator so I can't provide you with more information on the code base.

Every npc I have seen acts intelligently.

Actually, AL can be considered DartMud 2.  Several years ago, DartMud was extremely buggy and a few creators left to start again from scratch.  Of course, thats also the way DartMud started...

-Krotho
Krotho is offline   Reply With Quote