View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: RP systems for non RP muds

Threshold RPG is a 11 year old game that has both enforced-RP and Hack 'n' Slash. It was actually the H&S that got me sucked into the MUD years ago. This comic illustrates me perfectly!

My friends that recruited me to the game, however, were avid roleplayers, and that's why they stuck with the mud. So, I found that I was actually an avid roleplayer, and I honestly don't stay long on MUDs that don't have an option for roleplaying.

RP is not at all irreconcilable to other gameplay, but it does require a greater suspension of disbelief. You always have things that impact your roleplay because there are simply more mechanics in a HnS game as opposed to a purely RP game. Then, you always attract people who ONLY love to RP and people who really just love your combat system. These two groups will usually come into conflict about your combat mechancis. Balancing the two can be pretty tough.

The biggest need any RP game has, though, is a good story and a solid world. When you lack that, it doesn't matter how many systems you have supporting your RP, your players won't have enough to work with. For example, the day I quit WoW, I said to myself, "Hrm. I play a priest... a priest of what?" I looked and looked for an answer. Apparently, I was a priest of nothing. Just a priest. Well, the gameplay of the game wasn't that great. I was sick of the raiding, and RP was absolutely no option. No matter how much detail or stories you want to write for your mud, if your players can't find it cohesive and something they can build upon, RP will always be a stretch for the people who are dedicated to it.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote