View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
MU*ing in the IM Age

First of all, I should preface this. I find this an interesting topic because I always had ICQ or AIM or /some/ form of IM ever since I started playing text based games. Now, I didn't use them with other MU* people, so it could mean the same thing just the same.

My question comes down to, ultimately, how does having IMs left and right influence our play? - I'll preempt some purists by saying, "Let's not pretend it has no influence, and let's not be hasty and say the existence of such influence is evil."

For my answer? The first thing I'd say is the existence of IMs is the second reason I cite when I defend the existence of OOC channels and page commands in the game (after community). Why does IM make me defend channels? Think of the alternative. Let's say there are no channels or pages, but I play with five other people that I can talk to on AIM. Collusion is easy in this state, and the advantages of collusion are very great against those who lack such contacts with players. With channels and pages, however, there is a way to channel such chatter into community building, and the potential for moderation that can encourage community building, but prevent outright abuses of the system.

Any other thoughts?
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote