View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Malifax

Malifax is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking another look at some MUDs

Any MUD of mine would be 100% free to play, but different people have different goals and I can understand folks charging for their games. It takes a lot of time and work to produce a quality MUD. If people will pay whatever to play your game, more power to you. A professionally engineered, implemented and administrated multiplayer text RPG beats the heck out of any MMORPG as far as playability and long-term fun, IMHO. I also understand it when people can't afford $50 a month to play anything. What I don't get is folks being willing to spend $20 to go see a movie with a friend, or $20 on drinks at a club Friday night, or $20 bowling, rollerskating, going to a play or a ball game, but being unwilling to pay $20 a month to play a MUD that they enjoy. This is not aimed at you, Acacia. It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.

A lot of things about Achaea really appeal to me. I gave it a shot some years back, several shots, as it took me multiple attempts to slog through the introductory tutorial. I really hate those things, especially when they are mandatory. I finally made it, but what I could not handle was an inventory system that used object numbers. I think Achaea is probably a great game, but there are a few details are deal breakers for me. I should probably go try it out again. It sounds like the newby intro stuff has expanded, though.
Malifax is offline   Reply With Quote