View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #29
The_Fury

The_Fury is on a distinguished road
Re: custom clients. Good or bad?

What forcing someone to use a specific client does tho, is allow you to offer a game experience that is uniform across all players and it allows me as the developer to have total control over every aspect of my game.

Raising the entry level to mudders in some situations might actually be a good thing. Lets be honest a great majority of mudders are pretty fickle, they dislike change and are happy with what they like and are comfortable with.

To elaborate much on this is difficult without sounding whining, there are a huge list of reasons based on my experience that has led me down this path, . tho if i was to make use of a 1 client policy it would be because i want to control every aspect of my game.

Yes this is exactly what i am doing. Firstly i do not consider my game to be a MUD from a traditional standpoint. And while i share features with muds and use text as the interface, i feel my game fits more into a FPS MMORPG category better than it does a MUD.

I do not see a lot of potential for growth within the existing mudding audience. I see it as a shrinking demographic of mostly over 25's who have been playing MUDs for a number of years who are well catered for by the existing games that own most of the market share and to break into this the existing mud market is extraordinarily hard. I feel that covers about 95% of the players out the, the other 5% are encompassed by the tinkerers who put up a stock base to play with for a while or those who are programmers who have a need to make something new.

I see the greatest potential for growth in the 12 to 19 y/o casual game segment, where the players actively try new games, play for a short period of time and move on to something new. Pretty much the opposite thinking of muds that like to gain players and keep them for extended periods of time.

My game has been designed to keep someone interested for between 4 and 6 months and then after that they would most likely move on to other games. I have developed a rather in depth marketing strategy for the game that i feel will be able to get it off the ground, and will be directly marketed to 35,000 individuals in my local community through a partner ship with a retail games outlet.

The game itself is competition based that will offer 6 to 8 weekly competitions with cash and prizes begin offered in a number of catagories.

I am happy to elaborate further if you want, im just rushed right now and cannot add more.

The_Fury.
The_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote