View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: What constitutes a good PK system?

Well, our system isn't nearly as sophisticated as yours, I'm afraid.
It's really a quite simplicistic idea and we'll be using our normal combat and Arena code, just create a new type of Arena for it - (which naturally will be called The Colosseum).

What makes it somewhat original - (I hope) - is the way it is set up. The players won't be using their normal chars in the fights, instead they'll get temporary access to one of 8 different Gladiator NPCs, all the same high level and balanced to have equal stats. This makes the system totally independent on the player's own level and strength, only their PK skills, tactics and reflexes will count.

The Gladiators are all different classes, so their skills and spells will be different, which of course will influence the combat style. Hopefully our Classes are all well balanced by now, so everyone should have the same fair chance of winning the fights, especially since the Gladiators will be lotted on the players. And if they are not, the outcome of the fights will soon reveal that, which is an extra bonus we'll get.

On a side note: Would it even be possible to attach your Gladiator Pits code to a modified Circle Mud like ours, perhaps as a minigame? I don't feel like revamping our entire fighting system, but it would be cool if we could use it, combined with our Gladiator idea. Our Coder, who is a great admirer of the GodWars II fighting system is looking into it now.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote