View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
Justin534

Justin534 is on a distinguished road
Re: YART (Yet Another RPI Thread)

Well I appreciate you guys being so much more cordial about it

I think it gives useful data but maybe not perfect data, you raise a lot of good points though and good ideas too.

You mentioned though people looking for roleplaying wouldn't stay on in a very poor roleplaying environment, and therefore wouldn't vote it as low-roleplaying...why wouldn't they? If I were looking for a heavy roleplaying game, and found one listed advertising this and then found out the roleplaying was very poor, I would definitely vote it down to save others the headache. Also I wasnt thinking of allowing people to vote 10 on a given criteria, but maybe more along the lines of giving it a +1 or -1 vote. Perhaps, there would be a certain period where any given advertised criteria would be un-rated until say something like 10 votes had been cast. And as an example lets say 20 votes were made for permanent death, 15 were in agreement and 5 were against. Having 15 (75% of total) and 5 negative votes (25% of total) would give an overall rating on permanent death of 7.5 on a 0 to 10 scale. Of course, a possibility that might arise could be that the people who didn't enjoy the MUD would only vote once and people who stayed would vote multiple times, which maybe that is what you were alluding to?

Thats interesting I kind of like where you were going with that.

Another option to all this or perhaps in combination would be to allow users to comment on certain attributes, instead of writing full fledged reviews. For example if something is listed as having permanent death people could comment on it. Example: Permanent death listed as a feature and next to it is something like "Comments(3)" indicating there were 3 comments made in regards to it, you click and then are able to read the comments citing things like you stated above i.e. "This MUD doesn't quite have a permanent death system, churches can revive certain people", etc.

I kind of wish I could rename my thread topic to 'Categorizing MU*s' now
Justin534 is offline   Reply With Quote