Thread: Failure
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Failure

First of all, I hope you're doing better. As someone who's had more than their share of medical issues these last nine years, I can sympathize greatly.

Honestly, your theme sounds a million times more interesting that Star Wars or some other fantasy stuff. While the fanbois might get a hard-on for lightsabers and Boring Fett, more mature players would probably be drawn to actual science fiction, not space fantasy.

Yes, players can often be blind to even the most obvious attempts at initiating plots. I don't think dumbing it down is the key though. A dumb player is like a tree. Doesn't matter how slowly you speak to it, it still isn't going to do what you say.

Not sure what you mean by this unless you're talking about levels and experience points and other stuff like that.

Perhaps your goals in terms of pbase size were the problem. Saying "I want fifty players" and failing to attract that many has nothing to do with features, code, marketing or themes. Sometimes, you just can't get fifty players because they don't exist. They're out playing another game that they found first (let's face it, players will often stick to the first game they discover, no matter how pathetic it may be).

Success is only what you define it to be. If your definition is itself not obtainable, then no amount of work will allow you to reach it. Furthermore, just because you don't reach your definition of success does not mean failure (beyond the failure to reach YOUR goals). There are no givens as to what constitutes success and failure in a MU*. Some aim for quality, others for pbase size and even still others want a combination of both.

Just some thoughts to consider. Hope you've recovered from your health issues.

Take care,

Jason

Last edited by prof1515 : 04-27-2009 at 11:22 AM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote