View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: Failure

There are certainly worse things in the world than trying and failing. The timing might not have been great, circumstances might have worked against you, and the theme might have been daunting (or, to some, unpalatable). But it was definitely an effort worth making and, if you ever find the itch to try it again, I'd recommend it.

As you know from watching things evolve and change at Jointhesaga.com, even being established and off-and-on successful isn't a guarantee for survival.

Chiaroscuro was probably the best of our games from a player-driven activity standpoint - it had a fairly straightforward fantasy theme that people could latch onto and run with pretty easily - but without an active staffer corps to keep promoting it and helping to move that activity along it slipped into a coma and we eventually had to pull the plug. That was a sad day.

Another sad day? The death of Star Wars: Reach of the Empire. That was based on an established, hugely well-known property, but, again, without a reliable staff contingent to keep things hopping, it withered.

Now we're down to OtherSpace and Necromundus - both go through their fits and starts, with Necromundus lagging population-wise far more than OtherSpace. The economy of staff focus and effort takes its toll. I'm in no rush to shut Necromundus down, I think it has a lot of promise and possibility, BUT...I've killed my darlings before.

Does that mean I'd only ever do OtherSpace after that? Probably not. I can almost guarantee that I'd get it in my mind to do something new again down the road. Might not be a MUSH, per se. But...something.

Keep at it. Sometimes you get lucky and it all clicks!
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote