View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: Roleplay: Up for Reward?

The issue, in my opinion, is the fact that we're trying to translate life into text. The most popular genre for MUDs is medieval fantasy, spells and swords, which means we need ways for our characters to learn the arts of magic and weaponry within the confines of worlds defined by the written word. And there are only so many ways to do that. Balance has to be considered, as well as gameplay and longevity. So unless someone has a better idea for character advancement, based somewhere in reality, that scales for higher skill and years of play, "hunting" is going to have to be a focus.

Do you know anyone, in real life, who lives down the valley from a fire-breathing dragon or whose city is constantly threatened by hoards of axe-wielding undead? How many games do you play where your character holds a 9 to 5 job for making the money to buy the stuff she needs to live?

I don't know about "upping my sword skill," but it makes sense to me for someone who's survival depends upon his ability with a sword to practice by using it. And there's usually more to hunting than that. It's usually also a means through which to acquire money, or elements required for alchemical or magical processes, or materials for armor, clothes or shoes, or whatever.

Bottom line is, the model of advancement used in MUDs isn't perfectly realistic, but it is realistic enough to me, especially in a mediaval setting, that I can accept it as a necessary evil of a text platform and go with the flow.

The best way to alleviate the "problem," IMHO, is to make hunting a fun, group oriented activity. Back in the day, before Simutronics parted company with Iron Crown, hunting in Gemstone III was intense and exciting. A group of us often went out together and killed stuff for hours. My guy picked the locks on the boxes we found. Dagmar kept us spelled up. Kayla healed us. There was a cleric who resurrected us if we died and many other folks who added their abities to our hunts. We role-played the whole time and had a blast, and not once did any of us wonder why we were there.

Last edited by Will : 02-25-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote