Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #56
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
Well, I think one point noone's made is that a sexual predator might not exactly be able to figure out who's a minor, either.

From what I've seen, there are people in their thirties and forties who've picked up the internet speak 'lol' and 'wtf' and all that noise, and that's something I've always attributed that to younger people. On the other hand, there are minors crashing muds and becoming outstanding members of their roleplaying community, and I always start picturing some older, classically-trained actor behind them.

So, short of a predator asking everyone "Are you younger than 18?", there's probably no good way to tell. And a smart kid will always lie, for fear of being thrown out for being underage.

I think as long as muds at least have a policy and make it clearly understood to their players, mudsex is fine, if not for everybody. Muds who do have sex should police it to make sure everyone meets the age requirement, though.

I won't bother touching 'fundamentalist Christian assholes', but whether or not us adults can decide what's going on with that, kids can be hurt by sex. At a certain point in their lives they'll start seeking it out for themselves, and make that progressive change from sexual child (id est, not sexual at all) to sexual adult. (which doesn't necessarily mean it in the responsibility sense)

But...but but but...if you throw sex in their face when they're not ready for it, it can be disturbing and even damaging. I don't know if you've seen that Family Guy where Peter wants to have sex with Lois while Stewie's sleeping in their bed, but Lois starts to protest, and Peter reassures her, "Don't worry, honey, he'll just think I'm hurting you."

Funny in an outrageous way, but it's unfortunately true, and was true for me as a kid.

What I'm hacking at is, the mud community needs to really make sure to have solid policies, age restrictions if there's certain types of content, and monitoring to make sure that we don't have any wunderkinds who happen to play muds and are completely naive about sex slipping through the cracks, and getting themselves hurt.

There's no reason why a well-run mud with clear policies can't have people doing what they like with each other, as long as they take it upon themselves to keep the party private from people that don't need to be there. Not all minors will be horribly scarred by sex, but the percentage that can needs protecting.

And as far as the violence and sex issue, violence is pretty bad, and probably something we shouldn't encourage. But the thing is, kids understand violence. When they get mad, they know to hit someone. So they can relate to it. A six year-old, though, is going to have a hell of a time explaining why it is his mommy and daddy, who he thought loved each other, were screaming and biting each other, and that's usually sex at its mildest.

We kind of derailed this thread of Brody's...

I can't really see why full mudsex would be necessary, but I suppose if people can do it without investing themselves into it too much and taking it on a personal level, then that's cool.

I'm just more into heroes and epics sort of rp, than the politics and affairs type. But that's my personal digs.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote