View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Easing the process for new players.

For a long time, one big advantage of muds over other online games was that they didn't require any downloads before you could start playing. With the telnet client being dropped from the default Vista installation, new players today are more likely to have a web browser than a telnet client - and the former has the added advantage of providing a far prettier interface than the latter.

So I think using a browser-based client is definitely worthwhile. No downloads means a lower entry barrier, and the interface is likely to feel more familiar and less archaic than a simple telnet client. Even if your target audience has never played a mud before, they may well have played browser games.

I think downloadable clients are still definitely worthwhile, particularly if you customise them (like Aardwolf did with MUSHclient). But this can be left as an option for later; it'll just be another hurdle to jump over if you throw it in front of a newbie.

I've not done anything with MXP (although I support the protocol), and actually wasn't even aware that FMud supported it. I may have a play with it at some point though, it looks like you can do quite a lot with it. I wouldn't suggest using it just for the introduction, however - either use it throughout the game, or not at all. Otherwise the newbies are forced relearn how to navigate as soon as they've finish the introduction, and that can be extremely frustrating.

Do you support MSP as well? I wasn't too keen on adding sound at first, but it was requested by several blind players when I was trying to make the game more accessable, and after I had a play with it I find it surprisingly effective. Graphics and text are both visual, so it can sometimes be difficult to integrate the two together, but sound can simply be added on. Many browser games also have sound, so if you're trying to appeal to the same market it's definitely something to consider.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote