View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #205
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Armageddon is in a way an anomoly in that pattern but that's because Arm has always had a bipolar nature in regard to RP. On one hand you have excellent RP that goes on in the clans and the like. On the other hand, you have aspects of the game, the "out of the city"

It was this staff attitude which always relegated Arm to the bottom of the RPIs on my list. Even if it contained the best RP out there, that was offset by the presence of people who didn't RP at all. Think of it this way: if half the students in the class get 100% A's on their test and the other half get 0% F's, the class average is 50% which is still an F, not a C average. While Arm was so black-and-white 50/50, the non-RPing PKers definitely brought the average way down.

By contrast, I never had that experience on the other RPIs for a long time but over time saw more and more of it. So perhaps because it was possible to always encounter that on Arm, nothing may have changed but it definitely did elsewhere. I first saw it while on SoI and frequently voiced my dissatisfaction with the "more players is better" philosophy if it meant easing tight controls on strict RP in-game. I really saw the decline on HL which coupled with my health problems made me dread more and more logging in and playing. I made one last effort at it and I knew going into that evening that the outcome would probably determine whether I'd stick with the game or walk away forever. As it turned out, I walked away forever and with good cause: the sort of attitude you mention above.

If Arm has indeed begun to crack down on such behavior then that's a great achievement on their part and a worthwhile indicator that they're not succumbing to the problems other RPIs have faced in regard to lower standards. Kudos to Arm!

My comment wasn't directed solely at FiFi but rather a reminder that in any circumstance one must keep several questions in mind regarding the perspective of any comment.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote