View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #10
eiz

eiz is on a distinguished road
I don't use "community" definitions of words - I use the real ones. And even if I did, you are not the community and you should not speak on its behalf while decrying Matt for speaking on behalf of the rest of the world. I find it extremely hypocritical.

Seriously, you go to the website, see the prominent help files, whatever - it's not like they want to hide the fact that they sell credits if it's how they're making money in the first place - you see that they're selling these "credits," and what do you do? I know that if I was curious how important credits were, I would, you know, ask a player. It's not like they can tell you exactly how important credits will be, because it depends on your play style.

It says free to play. That is literally true, you can play all you want. It might not be free to get ahead (not being an IRE player myself, I don't know how practical it is to get credits the hard way), but they never claimed that in the first place.

Isn't there a market where you can buy credits for gold? That makes it pretty much the same as acquiring any other resource that your character might need but can't gather directly. Consider a crafting-type play style which requires a character to purchase goods from other players - in fact, some game designers actually think this is a good thing! Imagine.

And before you go off on how "someone is paying for it," credits are created whenever someone wins one of the oft-mentioned lotteries or contests - it doesn't matter who, specifically, all that matters is that the credits enter circulation when anyone wins.

I'm not sure what the point of worrying about the selection in the database is anyway. It doesn't show up on the main info page, and as far as I can tell you can only specifically search for pay to play muds, you can't exclude them.
eiz is offline   Reply With Quote