View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #30
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Yet again, though, the point that it CAN be done legally is ignored. On this point both Hans-Henrik and Katja Gamby (Nyboe) agree.

And your example is flawed, KaVir, as hiring a hitman or an enforcer is illegal... (at least hiring I hitman is, and I'm fairly sure hiring an enforcer is as well) Offering money to someone, to code, is not.

I won't comment on the 'dodginess' of the situation, though, as I honestly don't know... ethically, it might not be as dodgy as you may think. Many people don't think of GIVING someone things to work for them as 'profit.' The fact that others receiving the goods could violate the license probably never enters their mind. Legally, it COULD be a problem, depending on how it is handled.

So, you wanna pay me to code for your DikuMUD? Ok, I'll program the code separately, then integrate said code into your DikuMUD. Simple solution for that is to write code that does what you want. Take the payment for the code. Then install it for free. That makes it legal, and that was the suggestion given by Katja Gamby. I am then being paid for code that has nothing to do with the codebase. I am expressly making it work for that codebase free of charge.

The same can be done for building, if you want to go through the effort of writing the area, taking the payment, then installing the area for free (in this case you're being payed for the 'art', such as base room descriptions, mobile ideas, etc). Then once you finish, simply go in, add the descriptions and tweak the area for that MUD. Again, legal.

Maybe a thread in the legal forum, about this subject, would be a good idea. Would stop the degeneration of this thread into a legal discussion.

For those curious to what Katja Gamby said:

Katja Gamby on 08/16/2002 at 5:33AM EST:
So... basically, do you work separate from the game, put it in the game for free, charge for the work you did before the installation.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote