View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: "Winning" a MUD?

I definitely think you should check out Tale in the Desert, as Mina suggested.

Further, I think the idea of progress wouldn't be such a pain in the neck if you kept the world you're building fairly small.

On OtherSpace, the game started in the year 2651 with a dozen worlds or so. After a year, we stuck everyone on Sanctuary as they fled for their lives from the Kretonian Invasion. Six months later, after a voyage through a time-dilated parallel universe, they showed back up in the old universe in the year 3000. We had basically rebuilt the grids for all our worlds and changed the universe they'd known. Next year, the current incarnation of OtherSpace will be replaced by one that starts in 4008. (Again, we're rebuilding everything. I know I just told you to keep your world fairly small if you change it drastically, but I sometimes fail to listen to my own advice.)

Beyond keeping your world at a manageable, easy-to-alter size, I'd caution that your game avoid giving your players any reason to get a strong attachment to their characters. If it's an RP-heavy environment, you'll probably run into the most friction by effectively nullifying what players have done to develop their characters in the past. It can create the perception that they've wasted their time and could suggest to potential newbies that they'd be wasting their time if they start a character this week, only to have the game "shift" a couple weeks down the road.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote