Thread: Shy Roleplayer
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Kallekins

Kallekins is on a distinguished road
I've been in a similar position to you. I hardly talked for quite some time after I started mudding, but by now I bet a lot of people would be surprised to learn how shy I really am.
What I suggest is that you make your character very different from you--not an ideal, just an opposite on several key traits. Then always keep in mind that what is happening is not happening to you, but to your character. People may ignore your character, they may be rude, but it doesn't hurt you any, because it is happening to the character. In fact, it can be fun to have play easily angered characters that many people don't like. You can even add reasons why people wouldn't like your character (she is ugly and has b.o.) and then you'll be even less likely to take it personally if people aren't that friendly.
Another route to go is to change your focus so that you don't feel so self-conscious about how you are roleplaying. You can build a story around yourself and draw people in instead of waiting for them to talk to you.    Have a goal for your character, and engage everyone you meet about it. Or focus on others and try to learn as much as you can about them. Just as long as you have something to think about instead of how awkward or forced you seem. I doubt that the people who play with you find your roleplaying as futile as you think.

I disagree with Brody here. I think you'll be better off in a larger MUD. I've found that people are less friendly in more intensive RP environments. Also, with more players, the stakes are less per character. If you don't impress somebody, you can just move on. Somebody else will be around the corner. Once you get a clique that you like, or a close-knit guild/clan, then you'll be happy.
Kallekins is offline   Reply With Quote