View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
crate

crate is on a distinguished road
Re: Builders, what do you look for in a MUD?

First off, great thread. I like this immensely.

Definitely roleplay encouraged, if not greater. IC in public rooms at the least.. PK is alright, but I don't like open PK games. I would want to build in a MUD that I could play in, and so I would want something with roleplaying that wasn't just hack and slash. Unfortunately, these are vague and I'm rather picky. So something in the style of Iron Realms' smaller games that have more RP would be nice.

I like a variety of styles to keep me interested. Building the same thing over and over again is obnoxious.

4-6 lines. Maybe less on areas like a swamp or a path. I don't like room descriptions to repeat, but variety becomes more difficult if you have to write 6 lines for each desert room.

Personally, I like good or evil, humanoid races. They're easier for me to describe.

I've had limited experience with OLC, and I like building online, but at the same time, too many features causes people to want to utilize every single one of them whether a place needs it or not.

Original setting. No stock rooms. Not based on books or movies. The only exception might be Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. That I could work with because I know the subject matter. But even then, original is best!

There should definitely be set guidelines and a standard of quality that is maintained. Some rules I love are:I like color, but only if it is used sparingly. Room exits. Seperate chat channels. Iron Realms utilizes color well.

Ideally, I'd love to start with a MUD from the ground up. However, I don't want to waste my time on a game that will never get off the ground. I was about to apply as a builder for Ilyrias when that game fell through. (I am still terribly sad about that.) So to start from a new MUD, I'd love the opportunity to start on a new IRE game, or something similar, where the player base would be guaranteed. Logging into a MUD that will have less than ten players on at any given time would make me sad.

Working with an established MUD can be fun, but seriously, I would absolutely love a new MUD that had real promise.

Stock rooms make me sad. Areas with purpose are the best. I would never just write for a MUD that didn't have an overall theme and quality standards. The admin should have a vision for what he or she wants to see.
crate is offline   Reply With Quote