View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Professional vs Hobbyist

My own personal opinion on this is that, though I doubt it's intentional, this is another issue that could be used to "ghetto-ize" a section of MUDs. By describing all games in these terms I think it's possible a lot of players would be turned off MUDs without paid staff because of the often-negative connotations of the words "amatuer/hobbyist" when used to compare to "professional".

To be honest I fail to see why this is an issue. Surely it can be simply covered with the commercial/non-commercial distinction? If there are non-commercial games out there with paid staff then by all means put me right here!

Also, having a paid staff is still not an indicator of quality as far as I'm concerned. I know some damn good MUD admins who do it as a "hobby", and I've met one or two who are paid who I wouldn't even give the time of day to because their skills are questionable and their conduct more so. I'll concede that someone with a vested financial interest in the game has a greater motivation to do well, but best intentions etc!
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote