View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
NotL337

NotL337 is on a distinguished road
When you're writing a zone, do you prefer heavy guidance from a head builder/IMM, or would you rather be given general guidelines to work off of? Or would you prefer no guidelines at all?

To me, heavy guidance is when they would say something like: "I want a forrest area between 400-410 rooms. It should be made of small silver-barked trees, there needs to be an abandoned village in the north-west corner, and in the south-east corner you need to include a graveyard. The graveyard should take up 25 rooms and is made up of large headstones, and tall statues of various mythical beasts--don't include dragons, though. The Village needs to take up 50 rooms at least, but not more than 80. I want two quests involved in the area, and they should tie into the history files that involve the elf/goblin wars."

general guidance is along the lines of: "I want a forrest zone that's about 400-500 rooms, two quests involving the elf/goblin wars and a little graveyard. The forest is made up of short, silver trees."

No guidelines: "I want a forrest of silver trees. Run with it."

My personal feelings are that I'd rather have the general guidelines, and I dislike having no guidelines more than the heavy guidance unless I'm -really- familiar with that MUD.
NotL337 is offline   Reply With Quote