View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: The Bedlam Experience

We're going off-topic here, and that's fine by me, but maybe some moderators can step in.

Well, so, first off, you can at your LambdaMOO server in under 5 min. Judging from the screenshots I googled, I see MXP links, which are going to look better and feel more at home in a browser than anywhere else.

Secondly, the new Havoc engine I'm working on was designed from the start to enable dynamic code changes (you would think that since it's all script this would be easy, but in fact it turned out to be tricky to have both dynamic code as well as high performance through caching).

Havoc is in its alpha state now, so changing the code beyond modifying entity procs still requires access to the core scripts. But I've been evaluating solutions like Codebox that will enable multiple contributors to modify the code at runtime at the same time. And you get the benefit of a solid IDE rather than telnet-based editors, which, let's face it, we've moved beyond.

I'm not familiar with LambdaMOO at all, but I like this screenshot: This seems to be part of some MXP-driven OLC menu. It's very close to what I initially had in mind for OLC in Havoc, but I'm starting to move away from this idea, except from maybe some very basic stat adjustments to fix issues or test things more quickly.

One of the reasons I'm moving away from the text-based OLC approach is it seems that it will take you to a place where you have to maintain menus for each type of entity, which can get tedious in a game that evolves quickly. The other reason is that, well again, web forms do that kind of thing better:
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote