View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 03:38 AM   #20
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Re: What Does "Fair" Mean?

I can't wait to see your opinion if the first part should come true.

Time is not an equalizer, especially in games, because we all don't have the same amount overall. Yes, we have ALL have the same amount of time in a day - but that doesn't make a level playing field. Most people don't play games for only a few days or months. If your own example of how much time you have right now doesn't bring that fact into sharp focus, then look at how circumstances have changed for most of us OG's (old gamers ) here. I'll bet most of us started gaming when we had "more" time than money ... but I'll bet for most of us that's changed now.

You seem to only see the finite. How much time you have RIGHT NOW. How much money you don't have RIGHT NOW. Because both of these will change throughout your gaming history (hopefully), it is not fair to say one is more "valuable" than the other. If you think players who have more money than time shouldn't be allowed to spend cash to increase their characters, then why should you be able to spend more time on your character just because you have more of it?

That's not very fair. Even using your own "sports" example - pros don't just spend large amounts time to get where they are at, they also spend money. Just using your example of Tiger Woods - do you think he would be as good as he is today, if he couldn't have afforded the costs of green fees, or training when he first started? It's not like he won the PGA the first time he picked up a club.

As someone else said - the only thing fair to discuss (especially for the sake of games) is opportunities.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote