View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Fiz

Fiz is on a distinguished road
Client support for graphical maps?

I'm with a MUD which was designed with an integrated graphical map system (i.e., imps add area images to the map when designing their realms, and they are exposed on player's own maps as they player explores those areas).

What we've never had is an instant-update client interface, although the MUD-side support for that is nearly finished. On the verge of writing a custom client for this, I have to wonder if some existing client (or a protocol standard like MXP or whatnot) might already exist, which we can just use or be sure to be compatible with.

Here's what we have so far... if anyone knows of an existing client which (could be extended so that it) supports this sort of thing, that would be greatly appreciated. Failing that, we'll just write our own client I suppose.

Each room has an associated map fragment, which is a collection of resolution-independent, scalable vector components like lines, polygons, arcs, boxes, text, etc., and possibly bitmap images. These are located at a certain absolute position on a "page" of the map book. A page is usually a realm or part of a realm, which is assigned to the imp to draw however he/she likes. Each room has a unique RoomID which the client and MUD can use to refer to it. This RoomID is opaque so a client can't trivially just guess all the IDs and download a complete map.

The player can turn on or off the feature of having the client's map follow them around the MUD. The MUD sends a special escape sequence to the client indicating whether the MUD believes this feature is being turned on or off (so the MUD could turn it on or off for the player).

If on, whenever the player enters a room, the MUD sends an escape sequence including the RoomID. The client can then highlight the current room on the map somehow (flipping to the page that room is on, too, of course). If the client doesn't yet have the image fragment for that RoomID, it can arrange to fetch it from the MUD system. Currently this is done by opening (and keeping open if desired) a separate TCP connection to the MUD specifically designed for data transfer operations like this, keeping that isolated from the game playing engine. I suppose it could be folded into the game system using special command tags if clients can't easily support the idea of a data stream socket in addition to the game service one.

The client can check periodically if a map image has been updated, but otherwise can just keep using its cached image to display or print the map as the user has it so far.

Pages may also have a "background image" of the same elements already described, which is always drawn on that page, and the room images overlay that as they are added to the map.

So... what do you think? Keep going with a custom client design, or is this something an existing client can already be extended to do?

Thanks!
--Fiz
Fiz is offline   Reply With Quote