View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #49
Angie

Home MUD: God Wars II
Angie is on a distinguished road
I don't remember myself welcoming any of the muds you talk about here at TMS or anywhere else. I do remember myself pointing out a mud that ripped off another mud's webpage content and tried passing it as theirs, on another forum. Like here, the case was pretty clear and well documented. I am not familiar with the Lucas licence or their view on fan fiction - I suppose I could look it up and educate myself, but I have enough other hobbies (not to mention work) to fill my time with. Flaming usually isn't one of them.

There are also two other reasons why Medievia is different, for me at least:

1) They steal from other members of the same community. I am part of that community, so naturally it affects me.

2) They use the stolen property to make profit. Don't get me wrong, I don't envy them the money. To give an example: I am also a painter - if I paint a picture and put it up on the net, some kid may come along, save the picture and use it for their avatar. It's wrong, and if I find out, I may talk to them and explain why it's wrong. If, however, somebody started selling prints of my picture on Ebay, I'd be seriously upset. And if, to make matters worse, it was blatantly obvious that they knew what they were doing, I'd be furious. If they were smug about it, I might jump through the roof.

And you know what? I probably wouldn't sue them if they lived on the other side of the world, because it would not be viable financially and logistically.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote