View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Clover

Home MUD: Transgenesis
Clover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Clover
Re: Why I Left Your MUD- A Newbie's Persepctive

1. You advertised a Roleplay environment that was enforced, and when I logged in and started a character, I typed 'Who' and saw things like 'Rogan, the Hair-Slayer' and 'Elise-She Just Wants A Shag'. I was looking for an IC game- so I left this one.
+You will see a few characters, none of which title that they want to shag or kill hair.

2. You advertised a lot more players than you actually had- you said you had 24-50 players, I created a character and found out that there were four people logged in, two of them marked on the Who list as 'AFK'. I logged off.
+I advertise less than ten, which is the lowest they had to choose.

3. I logged in, took the time to create a character, and no-one greeted me, or told me how to ask for help. Your MUD has quite a few people on the WHO list, but I heard nothing from anyone at all. I logged off.
+I greet everyone who enters the game.

4. Your MUD was advertised as RP-Enforced. I created a character, and in your beginner's school/newbie school/starting arena I fought a MOB and scored a hit that left my opponent 'Wimpering like Rodney King/Crying like a bitch'. I logged off.
+Mine is not enforced, it is encouraged. And my emotes are not that stupid.

5. I started a character on your game that was RP-Enforced/RP-encouraged and got an item like 'A can of Coke' or a 'Lava lamp' or 'a piece of pizza'. Cookies I can handle but when I saw pizza and Coke I...logged off.
+You might find cola or pizza because my game is set in a modern (or post-modern) setting.

6. I logged in to your RP-encouraged game and immediately I was besieged by channel messages like 'Smirnoff Wipes the FLOOR with Aasinine' or 'BLOODLUST demands Parken's CORPSE'. I had no idea what was going on, nor how to quiet it. I logged off.
+We have globals for entry, exit and level. Or auctions. None of that dumb stuff.

7. I created a character on your MUD and, through tells and public channels, came to understand that it was a relatively closed group of friends- I wasn't greeted, and the people that I met in the MUD were standoffish, or referred to 'inside jokes' that I had no understanding of. The players made no effort to welcome me, or even acknowledge my character's presence.
+I greet everyone, and my one builder is friendly as I am. No closed groups.. we don't have enough players for it anyway.

And I can't keep a player to save my life. Had one in just now who came in, played for maybe ten seconds, was greeted nicely and all of it. Then they bashed my MUD, said it was too young, not enough players, was too stock (even though all rooms, mobs, objs and that are original).

I don't think my MUD is that bad. Yet.. "you" in general do not bother to stay. Ugh.

Clover is offline   Reply With Quote