View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #31
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
You spew nonsense anytime you claim the DIKU license prohibits revenue.

I don't want to see mud developers screwed. I just want them to have access to real information about their rights. Then they can make their own decision. You, on the other hand, want to force your point down their throats and won't tolerate alternative viewpoints. Unlike you, I'd be quite willing to change my point of view if an IP expert told me I was likely wrong. I've got no agenda here besides just finding out what the license actually says, unlike you. Don't you want people to be able to make choices based on real information, or is it more fun to hold forth as if you're a zealot priest and cast stones at anyone who (quite reasonably) disagrees?

Man, you are so small-minded you just assume everyone else thinks like you do. Your ignorance of successful mud development is astonishing, though that's not surprising. I want more competition, not less. A rising tide raises all ships, regardless of how cliche, is true, and I've got nothing but confidence that a bigger text MUD market just means more players for us anyway, as we rock. My biggest nightmare is loudmouthed, small-minded people like you trying so hard to force your own personal viewpoint (which brooks no room for disagreement) on everyone that most serious, aspiring game developers forgo text MUDs and go work on graphical MUDs instead. This leads to even less quality text MUDs, which leads to smaller players, and, worse-case scenario, a death spiral for text MUDs.

No, what I want are more professionals. More people who -can- do this as a full time job. More people who have a serious vested interest in making great text MUDs. Hobbyists can definitely do this, of course, as witnessed by great hobbyist MUDs like Shadows of Isildur and Discworld, but it's a lot easier to remain dedicated for years and years if your livelihood depends on it. It's also a lot easier to work full-time on your MUD if that IS your full-time job.

Ah, your flames are about what I expect from you, but no, what I meant (as you well-know) is that it's to be expected that you'd choose not to get an expert opinion as that might risk discovering you're wrong. It's a shame. There's nothing wrong with being wrong. Happens to all of us.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote