View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: --Another Brain Picking Session--What Turns People On To RP?

I might not touch all your sub-questions in this post, but I will at least touch the original!

I've written this before recently, but an RP enforced environment is an essential component to any MUD I would wish to play.

What turns me on to RP?

The simple answer is that I like being immersed in a story as a character, and I've found MUDs to be the best present medium for online interactive RP. (If someone knows a better one, please let us know!)

Some thing I look for in a MUD that I feel facilitates the RP environment:

-A rich, complex game world. While they often evolve, it should be fairly fleshed out by the creator. Ideally there should be a good base of history of cultures, races, and world regions for the players to be able to use in character development and game play. There should be a consistency between different areas of the game as well.

-Well developed NPCs and PCs. The first the game administration is responsible for, and the second is the responsibility of the players. But the more a game is built to foster RP, the more good RP players will come and stay.

-Enforced RP - While I have seen fairly decent RP encouraged environments spring up due to lucking into the right player base, the unfortunate thing is that just setting the rules isn't enough. It needs to be enforced. While you can't nor shouldn't force someone to play a well developed character, what can be enforced is character names and at least staying in character in the appropriate places.

As to suggestions of changes regarding the game... I believe the administration should always be polite and appreciative of suggestions. It is their responsibility though to make sure that anything that is implemented into the game makes sense in the context of the game world. Just because an idea is popular doesn't mean it would make a positive impact on the game. Also, what makes the most sense to work on first? No one has unlimited time to code.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote