View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 03:42 PM   #1
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
The Politics thread spun way off topic when the delved into the Economy of MUD's so I figured that I would step in and help bring it back to topic here.

The standard Economic Model of MUDs is the Faucet->Drain Economy. The Faucet being things like, MOB's who drop items/gold, and the Drain being mostly Shops, but can include healers, food, etc...

The biggest problem with this system is that there are more mobiles and things out there then are needed. So the players have no need to purchase from the shops. They are able to get their 'best' items and sell everything else, and almost never have to buy things.

The only way to balance the system would be for the drain to be taking as much or more then the faucet releases. Which means not every mob should have gold/items.

I will also point out a couple of patches to the system that have been added over the evolution of MUD's. The first and player favorite being Player Houses. Places that players can pay for their own 'place'. The second, and one that most players hate are degenerating items. Items that need to be fixed, repaired, whatever...

So to keep myself from rambling anymore, what do you people propose to solve the 'economy problem'?
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote