View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
John

John is on a distinguished road
Wow, this is a great thread, I haven't seen a bad idea so far. Most of the ideas I get are from the mud I play which is an IC mud all about struggle, so we have a lot of opportunities open to us that might not be favoured by the player bases in other muds.

Just on the get rid of all NPC shops idea, I would love to see that happen in a H&S mud. It'd be interesting because it'd be a step towards RPing, sorta, so it'd be interesting to see how far it went. Some really famous H&S muds, do become RP mandatory (e.g. Armageddon was a -really- famous H&S about 10 years ago, until they completely changed it and lost a lot of their player base). So unfortunately this could happen to any mud that gets rid of NPC shop keepers.

Armageddon had the problem of gith items (that's a common agressive mob) being REALLY common in the shops, it was getting ridiculous. So they increased the AI for the gith, and make shops stop buying gith items after they have X amount in their stock. This isn't a problem now, because gith are one of the few agressive mobs that are intelligent enough to create their own items, although they do it extremely poorly and it reeks to high heaven.

Those 2 ideas (having mobs not have too many items, and they stop buying it after X amount is in stock) is extremely affective, however depending on your theme it might not work.

Another method they use is to have the mobs incredibly hard to fight (it's set in a desert world, no-one leaves the cities alone), however again, this might not be favourable to newbies.

A dramatic change would be, not allow players to get items from mobs, and create a crafting system, so they have to forage for items and make their own items. You could make animals skinnable, so an animals tooth can be used as a weapon, but would be MUCH more affective if it was crafted into a weapon.

That's all, everyone else has already beaten me to some of my ideas.
John is offline   Reply With Quote