View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #18
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
A hobby is an activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure. When your paid for your hobby it becomes your regular occupation.

Iron Realms Entertainment, from the information available on their site, and from general implications from their actions as a company thus far have not been to create products that people enjoy. Its been to create products enjoyable ENOUGH to have people pay for them, and to churn out many to cover many genres and thus get the most amount of people to pay for them as possible. Its stated that the company approaches game creation on a business model.

Unless my perception of Traithe was incorrect, I believed him to be someone who was not in it for the money, but rather creating an enjoyable product that everyone could enjoy equally. (Free, with no gimmicks attached). Iron Realms creates products where the advancement of your character is tied to how much of your real money you put into it. It would be entirely different if they were upfront, pay-to-play across the board.

Money is not everything, I'm afraid. I'd much rather do something I enjoy, for free then, as I said, 'sell out', and make it my perogative to work money out of people.

You entire 'business model approach' to gaming and game-design is really divisive to what has always been a for the players, by the players type of community. All the original code-bases were designed with free-use as a paramount objective in the long-run.

If I love killing people, and made a living doing it, someone would object likely. Personal gratification isn't always foremost. And I'm saddened that people would abandon their hobbies for corporate pittance.

Anyways, good for you I guess.
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote