Thread: Wiki love
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
One of the great things about Wiki's is that they're self-regulating. It's easy to turn a page back to what it was at before, due to the recent changes system.

The other thing is, it's not as if a player Wiki is going to be a high risk deal. True, it's nowhere near as safe and reliable as an admin Wiki, but a temporary shutdown by malicious users would hardly stop the mud. I wouldn't rely on the Wiki too much... In-game systems probably work better for most player orgs, and they're more reliable. However, the Wiki makes a nice place for other types of things... Player pages for those who don't want to make an entire site, maybe an OOC newspaper, some rough plot sketches, etc... If you backup occasionally, I doubt even a cascade failure or seriously malicious assault would do much damage... Goes down for a few days, gets restored from a week ago, players have to re-add... Not really a big loss, especially considering it should never happen without some VERY intelligent evil, due to the self-regulating aspects mentioned earlier.

I hope this makes some sense, it's 3:46 am here and I'm just waiting for something to finish printing before I fall asleep where I'm sitting.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote