Thread: Types of Mu*
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Erisine

Erisine is on a distinguished road
Types of Mu*

I'm wondering if someone could tell me about the differences between the various types of MU*s, from both a player perspective and an administrative one.

I am NOT looking for "MUSHs are for RP, MUDs are for cool kids!" The purpose of this inquiry is so I can decide on what system would be best to use for my purposes (in this case, I plan on creating a custom MUD, but I want to "test run" the theme first to see if would even interest people in the first place, so am considering opening something less complex). Mostly, I am familiar with MUDs, but I am growing cruious about the different types of MUSH, MUX, and MUCKs out there (and others, if there are others) and how they actually differ. I'm not going to be looking for something that I will need to fully extend on my own -- just something to get up and running for a RP-type game and survey for ideas while I focus on work on another platform.

Looking for information on like: ease of installation, active development, adoption rate, syntax, admin tools, major player tools, etc. etc. Do they require special coding knowledge (i.e, custom scripting languages), can player permissions be turned on and off? Do any of them have combat engines? What are some of the best examples (in your opinion) of those systems out there (i.e -- best game that uses the system to its fullest).
Erisine is offline   Reply With Quote