View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #68
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: How many muds have permadeath?

Yes, I have actually experienced a wide gamut of emotions in the roleplaying games I've played as I took my characters through various stages in her life. I've enjoyed it immensely, but none of the games that I have stuck with are permadeath games. The permadeath games for me have resulted in my characters dying too far too quickly for me to really have invested enough time or emotion into her. I mostly just experienced frustration and a mild send of annoyance that I'd invested so much time to get into the game only to lose out on any attempt at character development. I think it's very interesting that we get such different reactions from the presence or lack of a specific feature set. Do you never feel emotionally involved in your character in a non-permadeath game? What should I do to be able to get more fulfillment out of my permadeath characters? Is it just different wiring or different goals we're looking for when we game?

I've spitefully and gleefully laughed at the death of the hundreds of Albions I slaughtered on the plans of Emain Macha on Dark Age of Camelot. The roleplaying was minimal, and you didn't lose a darn thing (xp or gear, much less your character). Boy, me and a ton of others went at it like it was a holy crusade, though.

Somehow, I don't think the feelings that are evoked for us are that different when we're gaming or reading. I'll admit that I have no real specific feature sets that a game must have before I'll try it. As long as I've heard good things, I'll try it out and see if I like it. Do people who prefer permadeath usually limit themselves only to games that have permadeath?
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote