View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #37
Flaviss

Flaviss is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I can't speak for other MUDs, although I would assume it is the same, but at WOTMUD we have a huge base of ex and mostly inactive players who haunt the forums. In the heyday of the mud average player count was at or near 200. When you consider how many people it takes logging in for a hour here or an hour there the number of individual players was significantly higher.

Most of us have moved on with families, school, work, etc and cannot spend the time to login and play much. Dental school keeps me personally from playing for more than a few hours a month. But I check the forums everyday, just like I check patriots.com everyday even though I don't have the time to go to the games everyweekend. Every once and awhile a player will get a burr up their but to start a vote thread. Occasionally it is an admin, but usually a player that makes a drive to vote, and all those oldies who aren't contributing to the 52 some odd players online will get on and click a link to vote. That is what got me to log on and I happened to see this thread about cheating and that WOTMUD was implicated. I cannot think there is any cheating going on, and if it is its just some high schooler who hits up all the computers in the library without any permission or understanding that there are all these rules about voting, not a contrivance of the administrators or some accomplished programmer writing scripts to cheat. I had no idea till I read this thread that that was even not allowed. I figured if your going to go to the trouble of going to the library, a wifi spot, your home, work etc and vote on each one, that's a lot of effort on your part and obviously you love the game. *shrug*

Also, WOTMUD has a link from their main page to click and vote, but their forums have been down and moved over to freeforums.com temporarily so for a long time people have not even been going to the main site because the forums weren't there. Tthis week they began moving back to the old forums on their main page, so more traffic is going to see the link to vote now.

Anyway, I am sure that when the admin of this site looks into it the votes will be legit, but it is categorically unfair to accuse a site of cheating just because they have low play numbers. Additionally, we probably had more than 50 some odd playing when you checked anyway - there are three races and each one has a separate who list. Only admins can see the whole who list, so there were probably more like 70-80 playing when you checked.
Flaviss is offline   Reply With Quote