View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 04:47 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Possibly, but the main reason is that I don't like to distinguish too heavily between PCs and mobs.

The same approach would apply to players as well. If a player transformed into a swarm of insects, or died and came back as a wraith, they could find themselves in deadlock with an opponent. Sure, they could just walk away, but it would get very annoying to have a bunch of mobs wandering after you and constantly trying to attack you - and rather silly if you could hurt them but they couldn't hurt you back, yet they decided to just hang around and fight it out anyway.

I need to decide what happens when two opposed mobs meet. I'd rather avoid the typical Diku approach of having them ignore each other, as I really dislike that - I'm sure you've seen those situations, where mobs that should be mortal enemies wander around ignoring each other (then join forces against you when you attack one of them).

It shouldn't be something that would occur often, but players might occasionally stumble into a war zone or encounter a predator taking down its prey.

As I pointed out before, the same logic could be applied to mobs attacking (or being attacked by) players.

No, just some ideas I was throwing around to deal with the deadlock problem.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote