View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #25
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Revolutionary New OLC and Scripting

Well, early versions of The Isles had the original interpreter. Those versions were released in late 1993. I didn't have an account at any ISPs or Universities at the time, so I used Don Jone's account, and several others. Later, I fixed a major memory leak which made the language usable in 1996. I took a hiatus from coding in late 1997 which lasted until 2000. I then took another break until 2003. In 2003 I fixed a long time issue which opened the language up to a stable base of functions. It took three days to find it.

At the time the only other system available for Merc and that I was aware of aside from MUSHcode was MobProgs.

I based the %-% variable method from MS-DOS Batch File language. Since I was at the time developing The Isles using the DJGPP Compiler, and it seemed like something easy to implement. I've since then learned a lot more about programming and my experience has become quite vast. I can see where I could write a better language in retrospect, but don't really see a reason to because writing the software is not profitable for me. I'm also displeased with its illegal sale by Owen Emlen, so my days in MUD development are pretty numbered.

Considering many of the advanced features were only recently programmed, and since this thread proves its superior feature set, I would say "revolutionary" and "new" are fine adjectives. Additional evidence to back this up is in the 80 or so downloads since January, proving the software is still a cult classic.

Fizban,
As for your unfounded claims versus me on Wikipedia, you might want to consider that I have an avid fanbase, many of which do actively use other websites and it is very possible that discussions on my MUD may have lead to others erroneously making claims on other websites.

Regards,
Locke

Last edited by locke : 03-16-2009 at 10:45 PM.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote