View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road
Re: Encouraging Roleplaying

This is something I was planning on doing. I also trying to decide if I should offer some kind of incentive for participating in events, and what these incentives should be. For example, characters could be award quest points for event participation, and could have the opportunity to be awarded even more quest points for good role-playing during the event. I haven't decided how quest points should be used in the MUD though. I don't know if I am going to set up quest point vendors, or use quest points in some other way, but if I can use them to reward role playing and participation in campaign events, that would be ideal. I just don't feel like quest point vendors fit the setting I have in mind. If I can justify it within the setting, great, but if I can find some other way to use the quest points that fits with the idea of them being a role-playing reward, that would be even better.

I could just make a somewhat ambiguous statement in my documentation the number of quest points a person has accumulated will be taken into consideration by the staff when awarding positions of responsibility, and that the best way to accumulate quest points is through good role-playing. Does that make any sense?

Ultimately, I feel that role-playing should be it's own reward, and well planed and executed campaign events should be interesting enough on there own that they don't need extra intensive to encourage participation. However, this is not a role-playing enforced MUD, and I am looking for gentle ways to coax players who might not have much role playing experience into trying some role playing.
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote