Thread: Death Traps
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I think most players hate DeathTraps, it's after all natural that they should.
But why bring the Diku code into the discussion? After all, Deathtraps are the choice of the Builders. Regardless of code, you can have as many or as few in a zone as the Builder decides.

I am no big fan of DTs myself, but some times they make sense to me. In our mud DTs are not common, but they do exist. We make a rule to be fair about them however, and always mark them out very clearly. It astonishes me sometimes, why people still choose to jump out from the edge of a precipice with circling vultures overhead and an exit desc that says ‘Only Death awaits you down there’. Or why they bumble into a booby-trapped room with a large sign in red capital letters saying; ‘Entering this room means Death!’ Perhaps it is the never-ending curiosity of the mudder.

Like Enigma, I prefer scripted traps, where the player has a chance until the last minute to get out. For instance, we have a room where the door slams shut when you enter, and then the roof and the walls start to descend on you. There is a pretty simple way of getting out, if you keep calm enough to read the descs. But recently one of our players told me how he felt like he was in an Indiana Jones picture, and decided to wait it out, just ‘to see what would happen’. What happened was of course that he wound up flat as a pancake with –1000 hp.

The funniest DT in our mud is a large snake, which swallows you whole. You get a choice between a slow death from the acid digestion fluids, or a swift one being crushed by the snake's stomach muscles. An amazing number of players have tried to attack the snake, regardless of numerous warnings. They probably don’t believe we mean what we are saying. But we usually do. *snicker*

From an Administrators point of view, I think DTs are used as a way to get some circulation on artifacts and other top gear with restricted loading. Unless the Mud is not rampant Pkill, the players tend to hoard these items until the max-load is reached and they no longer load. The occasional DT gives other players a chance of getting at those items.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote