View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Well, there aren't many RPI MUDs to begin with (three of which I'll mention here). Most "role-playing MUDs" are sadly inadequate, with levels and experience points and everything else that screams "This is NOT RPI, THIS IS RPing with H&S code!". That's not to say they're not well-intentioned, but you did say you're looking for a MUD without levels or classes (and there is a good RPI MUD with classes: Armageddon, though I don't know why they don't just eliminate that aspect).

There are really only a few such MUDs in existance, one of which has already been mentioned: Shadows of Isildur. A real RPI MUD not one of the above-mentioned "role-playing MUD", Shadows of Isildur has everything you're looking for, though at present there's no sailing code in place. With a good-sized playerbase and the depth of Tolkien's world (quite popular right now), it's a fast-growing, well-detailed RPI that's just getting better and better.

Likewise, there's Harshlands, based on the Harn gaming world. Huge and filled with great detail, it's a real RPI with a world not dependent on levels and xp either (just the inclusion of which negates whatever "role-playing" there is since it creates inconsistency between players RPing and players leveling). And like Shadows of Isildur, thats' because levels and experience points have been removed from the game, leaving a world that you can fully inhabit just as if it were the real world (but like SoI, there's no sailing code here either).

With both Shadows of Isildur and Harshlands, you'll have to work to achieve your goals in your PC's life, but that's part of the realism of course. I highly recommend both of them over the few other RPIs that exist and a thousand-fold over the dozens of so-called "role-playing" MUDs out there. I've tried out over 850 MUDs and nothing matches the reality and detail of these two.

Hope to see you on either.

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote