View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Why Do So Many Women Play Threshold RPG?

I'm actually a little sick of playing "harsh" "medieval" styled games, where 99% of the people I run across are supposed to be timid peasants, and 99.99% of the women I run across are supposed to be second class citizens, at least according to all the game lore I read on some mud's webpage, but the actual playing experience turns out to be the complete opposite. It rubs me wrong when every woman I meet is strong, resoulte, unafraid, powerful, willful, and an all around ass kicker, and two thirds of the positions of power in a supposedly stereotypical middle ages world are filled by powerful, strong-willed women playing the exceptions, who pretty much rule the in game world.

The harassment thing cuts both ways. A mud needs to be completely intolerant of out of character harassment between players, but definitely shouldn't be comprimising the integrity of the in character world or bending over backward to be super tolerant.

Hypothetical: What do you do if a "harassed" player complains the following to a mud administrator? "Male Player X has been giving me a hard time in character, saying all kinds of sexist things about women and treating me badly and making me feel really insecure. I know this game's set in strict medieval times where women are second class citizens and treated like property, but I just get this really bad vibe from him, like he really enjoys being an ass in character. And he does it all the time, whenever we're both on. I tried talking to him ooc about this, and he told me to keep everything in character and that it was just roleplay, but I know that's bull! He's just using roleplaying to harass me! You need to ban him!"
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote